Frequently Asked Questions about Mine and Cave Safety

Where can I get mine safety training materials and forms?

Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)

Field Office
1400 Independence Road, Suite 100
Rolla, MO 65401

District Office
1100 Commerce St., Room 462
Dallas, TX 75242-0499

National Mine Health and Safety Academy
Department of Instructional Materials
Printing and Property Management Branch
1301 Airport Road
Beaver, West Virginia 25813-9426
Phone: 304-256-3257
Fax: 304-256-3368

return to top                                              138

I am a contractor. Do I need training?

If you meet any of the following criteria you must have Miner Safety and Health Training.

  • You are engaged in the mining process
  • You are exposed to mining hazards at the mine site
  • You are at the mine site on a frequent basis performing work

return to top                                              139

What does Mine Safety and Health Training cost?

There is no cost to the miner or mine operator. Training is funded by a grant from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) with a 20 percent matching fund from the state.

return to top                                              140

I am a contractor for surface and underground mines. What type of training must I have?

All of your employees who work at surface mines must receive Part 48 Training and Retraining for Miners except for those who work in shell dredging, sand, gravel, surface stone, surface clay, colloidal phosphate, or surface limestone mines, who must attend Part 46 Training and Retraining of Miners.

return to top                                              141

How many hours of training must I provide to a new mine employee?

If your operation is a surface mine, new employees must receive 24 hours of training -- Part 46 New Miner Training, for those who work in shell dredging, sand, gravel, surface stone, surface clay, colloidal phosphate, or surface limestone mines, or Part 48 Surface New Miner Training. If your operation is underground, new employees must receive 40 hours of training under Part 48 New Miner Training. For more information see the Mine Safety and Health Administration Web site at

return to top                                              142

What types of mining operations does the state of Missouri inspect?

Coal, clay, shale, iron, lead, zinc, copper, silica sand, and granite mining operations.

return to top                                              143

How can I schedule a consultation to help me compile a proper mine safety and health program?

Call the Division of Labor Standards Mine and Cave Safety and Health at 573-751-3403 to schedule one of our inspectors or instructors to meet with your company.

return to top                                              144

I work for an underground mining company. Do I have to work longer than eight hours a day?

Missouri law states it is unlawful for any operator engaged in mining or prospecting for minerals to work any employee longer than eight hours in a 24 hour time period without his/her consent.

return to top                                              145

Does Missouri require a blasting certification for mining companies?

No. Missouri does not require a certified blaster to conduct blasting operations.

return to top                                              146