Frequently Asked Questions

The Prevailing Wage law applies to all public works projects which include fixed works constructed for public use or benefit or paid for wholly or in part out of public funds. It also includes work done directly by any public utility company performed under the order of the public service commission or other public authority.

What is the prevailing wage?

The prevailing wage is the minimum wage amount that workers on Missouri public works construction projects must be paid. It is required by law and determined through surveys conducted by the Division of Labor Standards as to the number of actual hours worked at each wage rate paid to workers in each particular occupational title (classification/trade). These surveys are conducted every year in every county throughout the state.

return to top                                              98

What is the Annual Wage Order?

The Division of Labor Standards issues the Annual Wage Order each year. It contains the proper hourly wage rates, overtime and holiday wage rates, and make up schedules for workers on prevailing wage projects.

return to top                                              99

As an employee of a contractor on a public works project, I qualify for prevailing wage, but I am not receiving it. What can I do?

If you feel you are not being paid the proper wage rate, contact the Division of Labor Standards at 573-751-3403 to file a complaint, or you can access the complaint form here on our Web site.

return to top                                              100

As a contractor, how do I obtain a copy of the prevailing wage rate for a specific project?

Contact the public body involved in the project for an official copy of the prevailing wage rates that were made part of the bid specifications for that project. They are required by law to provide a copy of the Annual Wage Order for each project as part of the bid specifications.

return to top                                              101

As a public body, how do I obtain a copy of the Annual Wage Order?

Complete the form found on this Web site, call the Division of Labor Standards at 573-751-3403, or send your request in writing to the Division of Labor Standards, P.O. Box 449, Jefferson City, MO 65102.

return to top                                              102